Enemas, Rectal and Vaginal Implants
An enema (/ˈɛnəmə/; plural enemata or enemas) is the procedure of introducing liquids into the rectum and colon via the anus. The increasing volume of the liquid causes rapid expansion of the lower intestinal tract, often resulting in very uncomfortable bloating, cramping, powerful peristalsis, a feeling of extreme urgency and complete evacuation of the lower intestinal tract. An enema has the advantage over any laxative in its speed and certainty of action, and some people prefer it for this reason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enema
Rectal and Vaginal Implants
An implant is a small amount of liquid inserted into the colon through the rectum in an attempt to retain the fluid so the nutrients can be absorbed or other action completed.
Probiotics, wheatgrass, barleygrass, very diluted Young Living essential oils, herbal preparations have all been used as retention implants. The nutrition in these substances can be absorbed by the large bowel without having to undergo digestion. This is a huge advantage when we might be feeling nauseous and can’t hold down any food.
When We Use an Enema
Toxic headache, Migraine headache, constipation, nausea, fever, flu, headcold, bowel cleanse, liver cleanse, parasite cleanse, haemorrhoids and any time we are not feeling well.
When We Use Rectal Implants
When we have a condition that we can’t ingest our therapeutic essential oils by mouth (vomiting, nausea, heartburn etc) we can use a rectal implant instead. We also use a rectal implant to replace the good bacteria or probiotics into the bowel after performing an enema. We use barley-grass or organic juiced green veggies as rectal implants also as we believe it helps to alkalinize our bodies.
When We Use Vaginal Implants
When we have symptoms of vaginal irritation or thrush or cystitis we can use a vaginal implant of wheatgrass with good success at relief of the symptoms.
Types of Enemas
Saline/ Bicarbonate of Soda Enema
Before we do other enemas, we always use a slightly salty water enema to clear faecal matter out of the bowel first.
We use 1.5 litres of warm, pure, boiled, filtered water (not tap water) to which we add ¼ tsp pure sea salt and ¼ tsp of sodium bicarbonate. We hold this for about 15 minutes if possible, but usually the first enema water is ejected fairly quickly. We always end our enema sessions with a saline/bicarb enema too, inserting the probiotics after the last enema.
The Gerson therapy advocates using coffee enemas as helping to cleanse the liver and for controlling pain. We do use coffee in our enemas and have found that they are useful for controlling pain from migraine headaches.
Details for how to do a coffee enema according to the Gerson therapy can be found here:
How we do coffee enemas:
(We are sharing our experience. Our actions might not work for you. You have to make your own decisions about whether you want to do enemas or not)
- Organic dark coffee (2-3 tablespoonfuls) (Inner Glow, Tewantin has a good, Gerson approved brand of ground coffee)
- Pure water 4-6 litres (no fluoride, no chlorine, no heavy metals etc)
- Potassium salts (Inner Glow, Tewantin, Qld Australia)
- Himalayan rock salt (1/4 teaspoon per 2 litres)
- Probiotic (eg kefir)
- 4 drops of liposomal glutathione (not necessary, but we find it a positive addition)
- Enema kit
Preparing the Coffee Solution:
- Place 2-3 dessertspoonfuls of ground organic dark coffee beans into 4 cups water in a glass (or stainless steel) saucepan
- Boil the water and coffee mixture for 3 minutes
- Simmer the mixture for 15 mins
- Allow to cool
- Strain the mixture through a chux to strain out the larger sediment
- Add more pure cool water to replace the evaporated water (need 1-2 cups of liquid).
- Use only when coffee water is comfortably warm to touch,
- Add 4 drops of liposomal glutathione to the warm coffee water
- Hang enema bag/jug no higher than 90cm from the floor.
- Fill the enema jug with warm (not hot!!!) water (up to 2 litres)
- Check the temperature is warm not hot.
- Lubricate the nozzle tip of the enema tube
- Insert the nozzle into the rectum, ensuring not to push too hard. There is risk of causing damage if the nozzle is pushed hard so as to puncture the bowel.
- Turn on the small tap that controls the water flow speed. We use half speed flow.
- Lay on the back while the water flows into the bowel.
- When the urge to evacuate the bowel occurs, stop the flow of water by turning off the tap. Remove the tube. Go to the toilet and evacuate the bowel.
- Repeat the process until you are satisfied that much fecal material has been evacuated and you are able to 'hold' 1 litre of water in the bowel.
- Place the strained coffee-water mixture into the enema jug. Ensure its temperature is only warm.
- Repeat the process of letting the coffee-water mixture flow into the bowel. Allow 2 cups to flow into the bowel then turn off the tap.
- Remove the nozzle and roll onto the right side, drawing up the knees to the waist. \
- Set the timer to 14 minutes.
- Notice if 'bubbles' occur over the right hand ribs - sometimes this is quite noticeable as the liver dumps (that is the theory we've been told anyway)
- After 14 minutes, evacuate the enema.
- Repeat the process to wash out the bowel. We do 2 washouts with plain, warm salty water. Add some potassium salts - we use a very small amount - match-head size. (See Gerson's recommendations for the formula)
- Add very water-diluted kefir or probiotics to 1 cup warm (boiled) water to the enema jug and allow that mixture to run into the bowel very slowly. Try to retain the small amount for as long as possible in order to replace the bowel flora.
Some cautions about using coffee enemas can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_enema
We also use other ingredients in our enemas such as saline/salt, bicarbonate of soda, wheatgrass (juice or powder), barley grass (juice or powder) and SE2 and most importantly, we use a good microflora/probiotic to replace the good bacteria in the bowel. We buy 25 Alive from Eden Health Foods: or use our own kefir to replace bowel flora.
16 strains of probiotic bacteria in a prebiotic medium with 25 billion CFU.
More information and other coffee enema products can be obtained from Inner Glow, Tewantin, Qld Australia http://www.innerglow.com.au/
Wheatgrass or Barleygrass Enemas
Wheatgrass contains many nutrients and it makes oxygen available to the body. It has been known to cause an increase in energy levels and to provide relief from vaginal thrush. It is said to be highly anti-inflammatory. It is also highly detoxifying whether ingested orally (by mouth) or when administered as an enema – it is a bowel cleanser
We purchase excellent quality wheatgrass, barley grass and other ‘superfoods’ that we use in our enemas from Eden Healthfoods http://www.edenhealthfoods.com.au/products/superfoods/cert-organic-wheat-grass-powder-1kg/.
We either juice up 60 ml of our homegrown fresh wheatgrass or we use the organic powdered wheatgrass or barley grass. We pour the green juice or our powdered grasses into 1.5 litres of warm, (but not hot) enema water. We find the cleansing and energizing effects very noticeable.
WheatGrass/Barley Grass Enema
1.5 - 2litres of purified water, boiled and cooled to 39-40 degrees celcius (103 F)
2 teaspoonfuls of wheatgrass or barleygrass powder OR 60 mls of wheatgrass/barleygrass juice
If we are doing this enema for the first time in a long while, we find it is best to use a smaller amount of water (say 1 litre) and a small amount of powder or juice first. Eg 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon of Wheatgrass or Barley Grass Powder as it might start detoxifying the body and detox symptoms might be experienced.
We pour the wheatgrass into our enema jug and stir it into the warm water.
As with any other enema, we aim to hold the enema in for about 20 minutes to absorb the goodness in the wheatgrass/barleygrass.
Vaginal Retention Implant
Wheatgrass/barleygrass juice can be useful as a vaginal implant. We must be very careful with its application. Some advocate using a small syringe to apply the implant into the vagina, but this can trap air in the vagina and cause painful spasms (like severe period pains) so we don’t recommend it. Instead we use a clean vaginal nozzle (not the same nozzle as used in the rectum) in our enema jug and let the 60 ml of undiluted wheatgrass juice flow in the vagina where we then wait for it to be absorbed. It is messier than using the syringe, but safer. Sometimes this implant encourages the vagina to discharge a white sticky fungus – thought to be Candida albicans.
Find how to grow your own barley and wheat grass sprouts here:
Rectal Retention Implant
Wheatgrass juice can be used as a rectal implant.
We always do a saltwater enema prior to doing rectal implants. This flushes or clears out the lower end of the bowel and literally makes room for the retention implant so that we don’t receive that urgent evacuation signal when we are trying to absorb the wheat/barleygrass juice.
We use the enema kit to implant 60-180 ml (2 -6 ounces) of wheatgrass juice, lying down to retain it as long as possible.
How We Do an Enema
We use the instructions given by Jethro Kloss in his famous book, Back to Eden.
- Add some potassium salts - we use a very small amount - matchhead size. (See Gerson's recommendations for the formula)