Raw Seed Crispbread
This seed crispbread recipe is free of:
Raw Seed Crispbread Recipe
We use organic ingredients or at least chemical free ingredients.
1 cup of sesame seeds
1 cup of sunflower seeds (soaked, rinsed)
1/2 cup of pepitas/hulled pumpkin seeds (soaked, rinsed) (omit if doing keto diet)
1/2 cup of cracked hempseed
1/2 cup of hempseed powder
2 cups chia seeds
2 teaspoonfuls of Himalayan salt
8 cups of Water (quantity needs to be judged by consistency)
4 cups of water for blending pepita and sunflower seeds
1/2 cup of kefir (optional)
1. Dehydrator (12 trays)
2. Large sized mixing bowl
3. Medium sized mixing bowl
4. Grease proof paper
5. Measuring cups
6. Serving spoon for stirring
1. Soak the sunflower and pepita seeds for 20 minutes to release enzyme inhibitors and tannins (important for those who suffer migraines and digestive issues). Both seeds can be soaked together. Seeds can be soaked in kefir to aid digestion. No need to soak white seeds and do not soak chia seeds.
2. Blend fruit (we regularly use paw paw as it makes a chewy base) and place in mixing bowl.
3. Drain water from seeds. Rinse seeds through strainer.
4. Blend pepita and sunflower seeds in blender with 4 cups of fresh water. Requires two blenderfuls so that motor is not strained.
5. Place sesame seeds, hempseed, hempseed powder, salt in a large mixing bowl.
6. Stir in blended seeds - (pepita and sunflower seeds in water).
7. In a separate bowl, pour 4 cups water.
8. Pour 1 cup of chia seeds and slowly stir into the water. Stir constantly or lumps will develop. Repeat for the 2nd cup of chia seeds with the other 4 cups of water. Mixture should be very, very sloppy. Chia seeds will swell to absorb all the water.
9. Let chia mixture stand for 10 minutes then check to see that the mixture is still sloppy. If not sloppy, add more water.
10. Mix chia seed mixture into the other ingredients and stir. It should be sloppy.
11. Prepare sheets for dehydrator trays
12. Place 4 serving spoonfuls of 'batter' onto a baking sheet of paper on the dehydrator tray. Shape the batter so that it is flat and evenly shaped. Repeat for all 12 trays.
13. Place into dehydrator and process for between 7-17 hours. (The time varies depending on the heat settings and how moist the mixture contains).
14. Remove crispbread from greaseproof paper. It should easily pull off. If it sticks, you are either trying to remove it too early or the paper is not greaseproof. I have used the wrong paper and the crispbread can be removed by steaming it off over a saucepan of boiling water and then placed into the dehydrator again for a short time.
15. Crispbread can be spread with avocado or other soft spreads. I like to eat it spread with avocado, wrapped in the middle of some large lettuce leaves.
Use the seed crispbread recipe to make fruit rollups by adding either blended dates, pureed mango, pawpaw, bananas and berries.
Savory rollups can be made by using the seed crispbread recipe with grated vegetables and herbs such as cummin and corriander. We use grated zucchini, carrot, celery. We don't use nightshades, but if you do, you could also add paprika, cayenne and tomato.
Our favourite bread uses fresh, blended paw paw. The addition of sufficient paw paw makes a crispbread that is not crunchy, but it chewy. It can be used with fruit or vegetables as paw paw combines readily with both fruit and vegetables.